*Updated September 2023*
I have updated this this editable PowerPoint I made as an assembly to explain Black History Month. Click –>HERE to download. Please note I have left links to further reading/resources in the notes section of the PowerPoint! I have also made it very plain looking so you can add your own school colours/logo etc!
Also check out this assembly by an amazing colleague of mine- Mrs Baker! Download here!
What to do:
October is Black History Month in the United Kingdom.
What do you do? Do you do anything? Should you do anything? There are big discussions and debates about Black History Month. I decided to focus my assembly on the history and roots of BHM rather than regurgitating messages about key Black people that are well known anyway; e.g MLK, Nelson Mandela, or Rosa Parks for example.
However, does everybody know about Harriet Tubman, Pablo Fanque, or Florence Price for example! Or…
Of course Black History should be integral to the school curricula and not a bolt on. However, for me, signposting is better than nothing which is the default for many I am afraid.
Check out this fab resource by @lamb_heart_tea here
And these by @kemoywalker download from here–
Check out these websites to learn more about Black History!
- BAMEed Network Resources on Black History
- Black History Month official website
- BBC Resources on Black History Month
- Black Curriculum Report on Black History Month
- Getty Images to 30,000 Black Dispora in US and UK
- 23 most anticipated books by Black Authors!
- Image Header from- https://www.rutgers.edu/news/rutgers-observes-black-history-month-2022